Terms & Conditions
My basic requirements include transportation, meals, lodging, and hourly class fees with minimums. I work with a few different teaching partners, each with similar requirements, and you would need to contact them directly (I can help put you in touch). Please read below for further details and answers to most frequently asked questions. I understand sometimes flights to certain places cannot be booked on my preferred airline, or perhaps none of my regular partners are not available for a specific gig, or any number of small inconveniences. In such an instance, please do not hesitate to email with any questions or concerns, and I’m sure we will find a way to make it work. Please note that all monetary values below are quoted in Euros.
- Rates/Fees (Additional 20% VAT in Austria)
- Group Classes: €140/hour when teaching with a partner(this does not include my partner’s rate). €175/hour when teaching solo
- Private Lessons: €100/hour by myself, for up to 2 people. For each additional person, add €15.
- Performances: I will participate in any introductory instructor jams free of charge. Anything additional (performances, full shows, etc) would need to be discussed
- Judging: Up to 2 competitions free of charge. €25/contest additionally
- DJing: €35/hour. Please notify me ahead of time if you would like me to DJ. Remember, the more I DJ, the less I am able to dance with your students.
- MCing: Please inquire.
- Level Testing/Auditions: €50/30 mins or less, €100/hour
- Video Notebooks: €50 flat fee for recording video notebooks. I should also receive a copy of these. Please note, I never charge for any students/promoters to record recaps at the end of classes (if permissible by the event, and intended for personal use); this is only applicable to video notebooks created with the intent of being sold.
- Minimums: €1000 for a weekend event, €1500 for a week-long event.
- Payment: I prefer to be paid in cash. If paid in any currency other than USD or Euro, or via any other method (bank transfer, PayPal, Transferwise), promoter is responsible for any conversion/service fees that are incurred.
- Downtime: PHYSICAL AND EMOTIONAL ENERGY – I require at least 9 hours between my last responsibility of one day and my first responsibility of the next day (whether that be teaching, judging, DJing, or performing) to guarantee I have adequate time for rest and recovery. Swing is a dance, a culture, a community and an expressive art form. Bringing Jenna to your event means she will be active as a teacher, social dancer and an all-round friendly person. Because each of these acts require some physical and emotional effort — Jenna requests that any non-work/non-public time (transportation time, time at home, time at meals), is respected as down time. While she may be happy to share conversations with students and staff, trust that her choice to be either social (or reserved) is based on what’s best for your event and its attendees.Note: All people have unique and valid preferences on guest-host dynamics, hospitality and socializing at events. This clause is here to simply contextualize actions within the overall framework of the weekend activities and events occurring before or after the weekend.
- Transportation: Unless otherwise noted, my flights should be booked to/from my home city Vienna, AT – on United/Star Alliance partners. I must approve any itinerary before it is booked. My FF# is (UA)URU79660 and must be added. Organizer is also responsible for transportation to/from the airport and any extra baggage fees.
- Meals: Meals should be provided for the duration of the event, and any extra time I am required to be in attendance (e.g. if I must arrive or leave on specific days, including on shared itineraries). I do not eat mayo/mustard/sour cream/coriander and do not handle super spicy foods well. If you choose to provide a stipend instead, the rate is €15 for breakfast, €15 for lunch and €25 for dinner. This allows adequate coverage of meal/beverage/tip.
- Lodging: I need an actual bed to myself (not an air mattress, couch, etc.) Preferably in a private room (one with doors that close). I am always OK sharing a room with any of my teaching partners. Other roommate arrangements are fine if I know them and approve beforehand.
- Promotional Material: Please feel free to use any promotional material from my website (videos, pictures, bio).
- Teaching Partners: My regular teaching partner is Jon Tigert (firstname.lastname@example.org). Additional preferred teaching partners are available. If you would like the names of additional partners, please inquire.
- Cancellation: After we have confirmed I will be working your event, those dates are then blacked out for me. Any other possible gigs that come my way and conflict will be turned down in the good faith that you will not be canceling our agreement. Therefore, in the event that you must cancel, I will have a cancellation fee to protect myself from any lost opportunities. I will allow one month from the date we confirm I will be working your event before I enforce this policy (NOT the date of your event, the date we reach an agreement that I will be working it). If you cancel 60 plus days prior to festival 50%; 45-15 days 75%, within 14 days 100%. Additional, if travel if shared with other festivals, you must still pay your agreed upon portion.
- ADDITIONAL NOTES: I have a difficult time dancing in low light rooms (poor night vision) which causes dizziness and headaches, so please understand if its very dark I will not be able to dance as much. Additionally, venues that allow smoking in them will make it more difficult for me to breath, which also may affect the amount of dancing I can do. If there is time that I am required to be at a venue when I am not teaching/judging etc, but is considered my downtime – I must have either a way to go rest, or compensation for that time. I cannot agree to teach at an event where Steven Mitchell, Max Pitruzella, Chris Harm or William Mauvais are involved.
- RESPECT TOWARDS AFRICAN AMERICAN CULTURE
Lindy hop (and various Swing and Blues dances, as well as their music) comes from African American culture and requires respect towards its cultural origins and individual originators. If your event features a name/brand, band, or public-facing prominent individual (such as a emcee or teacher) who demonstrates disrespect or disregard towards African-American culture/history or African-American people as a group — Jenna retains the right to voice concerns and open a discussion about the implications of such actions until the matter is resolved. In all efforts, she seeks to be respectful to all parties.
While Jenna understands that events require a bounty of disposable products (water bottles, plastic cups, plastic utensils and disposable dishware/cookware, etc), she travels with a water bottle and reusable flatware. No additional plastic-wear needs to be purchased on her behalf – including event-branded water bottles. She recognizes the care and kindness these things can represent, and asks that you express those to her in other ways. If for some reason Jenna loses or forgets her items, she will happily borrow a mug or bottle from a local dancer.